Saturday, December 4, 2010

What's up, Holmes?

Holmes hall
                Holmes hall is the home of the “Lymann Briggs” college, the residential undergraduate program that focuses on the natural sciences in historical, philosophical, literary, and social contexts. It’s home to nearly two thousand students, and is considered an honors college.
                Holmes hall is the largest residence hall on campus. Given the newly renovated Sparty’s, the enormous Cafeteria, and several of the lounges, this is an easy to imagine feat. There’s also a volunteer weight room located within, a fitness center, and rooms dedicated to just playing music… Hopefully those rooms are silenced, both ways. Coed floors are available, which is seemingly uncommon here.. At least from the halls that I’ve visited, there’s only a couple others like that.
                Luckily for them, Holmes comes with lofts already in their rooms… So none of the ridiculously priced lofts are required to build at the beginning of the semester, and then the ridiculous take down price.
                I love Holmes cafeteria, although it may not be because of their food. You see, living in Akers, it’s the closest cafeteria to me that does not have absolutely moronic and nonsensical  hours of operation. It’s times are perfect. 8 a.m. to Midnight, EVERY DAY! And by every day… Even weekends! Wow!
                The cafeteria, of course, has the token Pizza station. I’ve come to expect that in my voyages of the Michigan State residence halls. Pizza must be the food that is universally liked… or it’s just cheap and easy to make. Either way, it’s good stuff. Also attached to the pizza station, is the token sub/sandwich line. Wraps, subs, etc etc with all the fixings.
                The café also has a pretty impressive salad bar. Containing salads, fruits, vegetables, yogurt, pudding, and a variety of other side-dishes, making it one of the largest salad bar stations I’ve seen on campus.
                One station of the Café inside of the holmes hall, will make waffles tailored to what you want on or inside of the waffle, for a breakfast sensation. Later in the day, as it becomes time for lunch and dinner, this station converts to making stir-fry.
                During my visit to the Holmes Hall, I encountered an elementary school activity, in which college students were assisting children in arts and crafts, egg drops down the stairs, and a few other fun sounding activities. I think it’s a great opportunity to get people of all ages involved. I didn’t have an opportunity to find out more about these events, but it would be awesome if it regularly occurred, and if very little MSU employee involvement is involved. Thumbs up on creativity, and for giving back to the community. It’s the little things that make you smile.
                Overall, Holmes hall seems like a great hall. It’s the first one that I’ve really never encountered anything that greatly annoyed me about it. Some of the artwork on the walls seems irrelevant, and slightly strange, but someone somewhere likes it, making it not my place to comment or influence my opinions onto people on this particular subject. I guess the only issue with Holmes is the wacky positioning on our campus… But that’s a necessary evil… If only, if only, all the residence halls were located in the center. Fat chance of that ever happening, but I can wish.

1 comment:

  1. I live in Holmes Hall and am not exactly sure what I think of this place yet-I agree with you Randall, there are some very good aspects of Holmes but there are some things that bother me. The cafeteria hours are great seeing as Akers typically has Mexican food all day everyday and awful hours- I believe they close at 7 p.m. on weekdays and aren't open on the weekends-and Hubbard decides it'd be fun to close down between 2 and 5 and then be completely done serving food at 8 p.m., Holmes Dining Hall offers endless opportunities to stuff your face. I guess the only thing that bothers me about their cafeteria is that the food is Asian a majority of the time and their soft serve machine broke down and has not been replaced. The location of this hall is absolutely terrible though-I live in East Holmes so I am literally the last building on campus, which makes it kind of hard to get around to the West side of campus. However, I do like the set up of Holmes. Brody looks scary and weird in their little blocks scattered all over the place, but Holmes is one big hall with everything connected. Although I myself am not in Lymann Briggs, I don't mind living here. It's quiet when I need to study and not a big party hall all the time, but its close enough to other halls where I don't feel like I have to be secluded in here. Overall, Holmes ain't that bad!

    Gina Maffezzoli

    ReplyDelete