Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Ole mother Hubbard

While not technically the “largest” residence hall on our campus, Hubbard is most certainly the tallest. At a whopping twelve stories, Hubbard creates a fairly large shadow over the rest of Hubbard. Hubbard receives a lot of recognition for this fact. At orientation, the “tour guide” people brought up hubbard’s 12 stories, and there was a prize for guessing correctly how tall the building is… Which was 103 feet, if I remember correctly. Recently during a storm, a friend on my Facebook posted this as his status. “i wonder if the 11 story Hubbard Towers have blown over yet...its so windy.” While obviously he’s a moron, and we tell him this daily, it does bring attention to the attention Hubbard receives for its incredible size. It’s almost like “Pop Culture – MSU Style!” That said… Rock on Hubbard, keep being tall n’ stuff! (and haha at you if you live on the 12th story… Bet you LOVE the fire drills, and not being allowed to use the elevators.. Going down every stair is a journey!)
                Anyway... Onto actually talking about the hall.
                Hubbard was designed by drug addicted people. There’s no way that all the trippy colors in those nonsensical orders, tossed in with random shaped sculptures and paintings, was arranged by someone that had clear thought. There’s so much purple. Then BAM ORANGE WOAH. Like.. Did these people just forget that the colors of our university are green and white? I mean.. Some variation is fine… but don’t just pick up whatever color paint you have left, and make a “masterpiece” of a hall out of it. Meh, maybe I’m alone on this thought, but every time I go there, I can’t help but notice the trippy colors. (As a side note: I don’t actually know if the designers were druggies, or implying that drug abusers are bad people… But if I was high or something, I would probably make a hall look similar to that. Just sayin’.)
                The cafeteria inside Hubbard is gets a thumbs up. The structure inside should be different, as it’s kind of confusing, but it pretty much works.  Their stations provide enough variety, as to make it so everyone can eat something they like. Whether it be an easy burger, to spaghetti, to just grabbing a simple bowl of soup. And of course, like every other hall, the token pizza station with Cheese, Pepperoni, and a random pizza that is rarely appetizing looking. At evening, I’m sure they bring out the bread… Someone thought it made sense that people don’t like cheesy bread for lunch… That person, is stupid. Everyone loves cheesy bread. Gosh. Their salad bar may be the biggest on campus. I don’t know if it really is, but I’ve travelled the halls pretty good at this point, and it’s probably the biggest I’ve seen. Much variety, much food, much happiness… Win-win-win, good idea, to whichever hippy thought of it.
                After speaking to a member of the Hubbard hall, I was able to get an idea of what living there was actually like. And from what this “informant” says, it’s pretty bad. At least on some of the floors.
                You see, some of the floors are designated to a program called “The First Year Experience.” Which, couldn’t be named worse. These RAs are straight power tripping. How the hell does that prepare you for your sophomore year on campus? See, here is a time line I created very cleverly, using logic.
1-      Being babied at home, by your parents
2-      Being Babied at college, by your RA
3-      Sophomore – Bam! All by yourself. Maybe a roommate.
4-      REAL WORLD GET USED TO IT.
I’m not saying having an overly active RA is bad, I’m saying that it’s causing the program to be horribly named, and having the exact opposite effect that they are trying to avoid. That’s what I’m saying. Also, I said this earlier, but reading is fundamental and gets ignored, not every hall in Hubbard is like that. Please keep that in mind before you comment about the drug abusing RA  you have, or the stoners that designed the hall.
Hubbard’s also in a pretty bad location… Way on the east side of campus, when all of your classes are going to be in the middle of campus, or on the other side. I just don’t like the placement of residence halls, unless the intention is to take a stand against obesity in America… If that’s the case, then keep placing the residence halls horribly.
        This was a pretty bad review… But I actually like Hubbard, I just wouldn’t want to live there.

3 comments:

  1. I live in Hubbard but luckily only on the fourth floor. When I first got here, many people glared at me when I used the elevator to get up to the fourth floor while they were going to the 10 or above. It’s crazy to think that it is socially unacceptable in Hubbard but not in a different dorm that’s only 5 floors. Now I’m use to taking the stairs and only use the elevator when I’m doing laundry.
    I personally love the new lounge. If you would have seen what it looked like before they fixed it, you would probably agree. I think it is really modern and catchy. Although it will probably go out of style quick and they will need to redo it.
    I don’t really like the first year experience thing either. The entire building is first year experience and FULL of freshmen. Before I got to school I was all for it but I didn’t realize that it would continue all year. My mom also felt more comfortable sending me to school because she knew I would be taken care of. If they did the first year thing for the first month that would be good but it just keeps going. I would rather like the live with more variety of people. At the same time though, if I was an upper class-man I would not want to live with freshmen.
    I really do like living in Hubbard. I really like the lounge areas and that we have an awesome sparty’s. I also don’t really mind the rooms. They are small but what dorms aren’t (other than Akers). I also really don’t mind the distance. Because I’m in the college of nat sci, I basically live at the Chemistry building which is only a 5-10 minute walk. Also, there are two bus routes, 30 and 31 that stop at east neighbor hood very regularly that will take you anywhere. If I had to choice where I lived again, it would still be Hubbard.

    Bethany Buda - http://www.app-tastic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since Akers and Hubbard are so close, and Akers cafeteria hours aren’t ideal, I spend a lot of my time at Hubbard. My best friend from high school also lives in Hubbard so I visit there quite often. I would have to agree that Sparty’s café in Hubbard was an amazing idea. Thank you Hubbard! Whenever I go get my combo, to eat at the cafeteria, or visit my friend there always seems to be people everywhere. Hubbard is a very lively place, which can be both a good thing and a bad thing. I’m sure it was good for when everyone moved in to be out and about to meet new people in the dorm, but now it might be a distraction for me if I was living there. I always see people studying in the lounges but right next to them there is always a big game on the plasma and a group of people yelling while watching the game. I would never be able to study in the Hubbard lounge.
    This may not be the case for every floor, but the floor above my friend’s room is always making noise, especially late at night. When I’m in her dorm studying with her, the room above hers is always yelling, playing loud music, or playing basketball. Whatever it may be, it’s usually still too distracting for me to work and I usually go home.
    In the above comment, she said something about it being socially unacceptable to use the elevator if you live on a certain floor. As crazy as that sounds, I’ve witnessed people yelling and giving people dirty looks for using the elevator if they live on the 6th floor or lower. This is nuts! In Akers there’s 6 floors and everyone uses the elevator, why is it like this? I just think it’s silly.
    -Katie Volante

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh hubbard hall. i live on the ELEVENTH FLOOR in south hubbard. my friends and i call east complex BFE (butt fuck east complex) because its literally lightyears, well maybe not literally, but basically really far away from anything cool on campus. unless you think the rape trail is cool, then you'd be happy. i'm SO happy you brought up how effing colorful it is in my hall. neon blues, pinks, greens everywhere. i honestly feel overwhelmed sometimes because its soooo bright. i personally like west circles dorms because they're older, more traditional, and they dont look like a unicorn tripping on acid threw up all over the place.
    the caf isnt so bad, i mean its no brody or sny phy, but it's not as bad as akers caf. thats just bad. my favorite part about the hub caf is the pasta station because you get to chose what you want in your pasta and they make it for you right there. unfortunately its really popular, so the lines always long and it takes forever to get your food.
    living on the 11th floor is also such a bitch. fire drills are hell, i usually shut off all my lights and play on my computer just so i dont have to deal with walking up and down 11 flights of stairs. call me lazy, but thats tiring after crew practice.
    so yes, be thankful you were not "chosen" to live in hubbard. it sucks.

    ReplyDelete