Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Wilson hall

Wilson –
                Home to the engineering residential experience, I get to go all the way across campus a few times a week to visit this dorm building! Aside from being extremely far away, it is not a terrible dorm… However, I do take some issue with some of the finer points of the dorm, as well as some of the better aspects.
                The good: I love that the building has everything you could want in it. It has a Sparties station, and a large cafeteria. The cafeteria has an amazing deli line, be it wraps, sandwiches, or grinders. It’s incredibly convenient. The one other food station, other than the token “Pizza Gallery” in every dining hall, is of fairly good quality. There’s really no theme behind it, as such I can’t make a generalized statement about it… But it’s probably decent every day. Yesterday it was Calzones and Sloppy joes, and they seemed to be decent enough for human consumption.
                The lounge is pretty amazing. It’s very large, and has an enormous T.V. It’s used for building parties fairly frequently, and a lot of the games are held in here. While pretty disturbing to those that actually want to study in the, er, study lounge, it is a fun opportunity with food and games. I walked in on one, and it was pretty impressive the amount of people who got involved and participated.
                And don’t forget about the amazingly close proximity to the Spartan Stadium. While most other corners of campus have to go through traffic and have a distant walk, not Wilson. When it’s raining, the residents of Wilson are probably pretty thankful.
                There appears to be a “Movie Night” once a weak in the Wilson auditorium. I haven’t had an opportunity to attend one, but it sounds like a good idea. Meet some new people, watch a movie, eat some pizza, just sounds like a good time to mingle. Unless to movie sucks, then I guess the attendees are united in a different fashion. But alas, good idea overall.
                But of course, what is a good hall review, without the bad? Not reporting both sides is horrible, and should be frowned upon… Without further ado:
                The bad – The inside of the building makes no sense. I feel like I never know where I’m at when I’m inside of this building. I literally have to go out the same door that I came in, because the spot I think I’m in within this hall isn’t where I am at, at all. There’s just something about this hall.
                And I am surprisingly not the one who first said that.. I was thinking it, but never said it out loud because I felt it sounded stupid. However, my friend was the first one to say it, and I couldn’t agree more with them. It’s just true… Maybe it’s the sparties in the middle of the main floor throwing off my instruction? I don’t know, but there’s definitely something trippy in this hall. Maybe drugs are in the air. Who knows?
                I alluded to this earlier, in “the good” of the hall, but true to form I tried not to bash the hall in “the good” section. The Cafeteria… There’s a whole two stations of food. Two. Only two, and one is closed frequently. How is that enough for people to eat? It’s silly, just plain silly. I mean, it’s not that having a sandwich every day isn’t amazing and all that good stuff, but people like variety. I don’t understand why these cafeterias do this. It’s silly.
                And the hours the hall is open… What the hell? They literally close for two hours after 2 pm? Why? You can leave the café open  with on and a half stations open, but you can’t leave it open between those hours while you switch some of the containers? Why? It boggles me, it really does. They’re still open until midnight, but every day of the week has three less hours of the day in it, due to their horrible schedule.
                The west side of Wilson currently has a broken elevator. The elevator is estimated to be repaired by January, in which the other elevator will be down for repair. Not really the best logic for a six story building to do that for long periods of time. Shoddy planning, I think, anyways.
                That’s all for this review.. Tune in soon for the next review of the Michigan State residence halls.

No comments:

Post a Comment