Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sny-Phi… My home away from home… away from home.

The gorgeous exterior, the magnificent café, Sparty’s, and a beautiful interior…. Sny-phi is easily my favorite hall, especially after living in Akers for this time.

First off… Why am I calling it Sny-Phi? Basically, it is two halls that are connected. The two halls are Snyder and Phillips. They’re virtually the same. Sny-Phi is just a trendy, and shorter, abbreviation than saying “Snyder – Phillips” repeatedly.

Sny-Phi is the home of the residential college for the arts and humanities…. Meaning, many of the people you encounter when at Sny-Phi are art majors. Imply what you will with stereotypes, but most people there are incredibly friendly. To facilitate this part of these residence halls, there are numerous stages and theaters in the basement… and the basement almost always smells like paint for some reason… I swear they paint the basement every day of the week.

The Gallery – The official cafeteria of Sny-Phi has incredible food, every day, and is actually open every day!! Two stations repeat the same thing every day, Ciao and The Brimstone Grille. However, within those, you’ll see variations on the day-to-day norms. Ciao experiments frequently with intriguing, and tastey different ways to make Pizzas, be it the traditional Pepperoni to Chicken Bacon Ranch, and a deli that makes your wrap or sub on the spot. The Grille generally serves Cheeseburgers and Hamburgers, but on some (good) occasions, they’ll add great pulled pork to the mixture. The other two stations change greatly throughout the week, chicken strips to eggplant parmesan to leg of lamb. And, last of all.. the dessert station…. They’ll hand-scoop ice cream on the spot for you… Simply amazing. The cafeteria is worth the five minute ride to get away from Akers, every day. I know when I see Minnnie or Ron’s face checking my card with their smile, I’m in for a good meal.

To help all of the residents get involved, several floors do events and games. Some examples that have been done thus far are: open mic night, where participants may go karaoke and publically embarrass themselves… Which is a lot of fun… But if the wrong person gets control of the microphone, could go horribly, fast… or it remains funny, either or. For the most part, though, everyone had fun, and no glasses were shattered.

Several individual floors host their own events, such as barrel racing down the halls… Requires two people, one to hold the legs of their partner, while the other walks them forward using their hands to simulate the motion of a wheelbarrow. Also in that department are sandbag races down the hall, which involves the lower half of the body being in a sand bag, to make movement resorted to hopping. While neither of these sound particularly fun just talking about them, when done en masse, everyone becomes embarrassed together, and creates a great feeling of unity among everyone participating, or everyone watching.

These events do just that – They allow for everyone in the halls to get to know other people, and expand their social network. Whether you meet your friends for life, people you learn to avoid at your stay at State, or your future significant other, they’re getting you involved, and actually giving you those opportunities to mingle, in a non-awkward, non-classroom setting medium.

The sleek interior inside the hall itself gives the entire hall a smooth, old-fashioned feel. When touring the hall with my sister, she was in awe the entire time, from the staircases to the overhangings, to the “art” on display at random locations within.

Sparty’s – I never found out about this place and what it does until my last visit to the Gallery. Apparently, with the Meal Plans provided at MSU, you can get 1 “Combo Exchange” a day. It seems like a good way to stock up some food for the weekends, at no at the time purchase charge. Tip of the day.. Use at your own discretion.

Next up, we have a review of Holmes hall… Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. I along with you love sny-phi! I think that it is a beautiful building and even a better caf! I have not yet seen the dorms or classrooms located in the building, but if they are anything like the caf or lobby area, then they are very nice! I go there to eat a lot and enjoy it a lot more than case caf (where I live). It always has fresh foods and a very good variety to top it off! I enjoy the salads that they prepare right before your eyes and even the soup is always good. This is a very nice place to eat in! It also has got to be one of the most beautiful places on campus. It is almost old victorian looking from the outside, and then once you walk in it is all nice and redone to the point where it makes the rest of the dorm halls look disgusting. I think more of the dorm halls should look like this! I also think that it is very cool that some floors in there let you participate in games and such. That is really awesome and a very good idea. Getting students involved is a hard task already so this is a very good way to let them have fun and meet new people! If I had not read this blog though, I would not have known that they do this so I think they should do more advertising about this because most halls do not do this and I think more students would like to be involved in this!There is also a sparty's in sny-phi which of course just makes it that much better a place! I would love to live here because it has awesome qualities and is in a awesome location! I like this hall a lot and learned a lot from this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this above comment from November 26, 2010 is from Katie Angeli: http://collegefoodatitsfinest.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sy-Phi is such a beautiful place to be. I love how it is old victorian but still modern on the inside. I’ve heard a lot of good things about their cafeteria so I decided to go there one day when I was in that area. The cafe amazed me compared to East neighborhood’s cafes. The food was very great and there were a lot of different options. The only thing that bugged me about this cafeteria was that it was so busy. It is understandable since it is so great and it is the cafeteria is for the whole red cedar neighborhood. Ever since the day that I went to the cafeteria and seen the inside of the halls, I go there to study often. Some of the lounges remind me of a study that you would see in an old mansion. The environment is usually very quiet and easy to study in.
    I think that it is great that the floors engage the students in activities since school can be so stressful at times. Activities like that keep me sane from the piles of work that I have to get done. Not to mention it builds so many great relationships with other people.
    I’ve never been in the basement of sny-phi and I’m very impressed that they have such interesting things like stages and theaters. I guess that makes sense since it is an arts and humanities dorm. Sny-phi’s environment is just so inviting. It’s no wonder that so many people brag about how great it is. I do think that is unfortunate that the dorm is only for art majors. It would be nice to have such a great dorm open to other majors and students. On the other hand, it is great to have all art majors together to help students create friendships with people with similar interests and also similar classes so they can study.

    Bethany Buda - http://www.app-tastic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Living in Hubbard makes Sny-Phi a necessary place for food on a regular basis, it does not even matter what the weather is like it is so worth it. Whenever my friends and I decide to meet up this is the place we go not only because there are such a variety of food venues but because it is big and just a fun place to eat. Not only is the café a simply delicious place to eat but it is so pretty. On the outside it just looks classy from the old time red brick look to the sculpture outside, and finally the dome which allows for it to be nice and light in the café on a sunny day, unlike a lot of other cafés on campus. I have never actually been inside the dorm part of the building so it is interesting to hear about all the events that they seem to have going on. It just makes it sound like a really nice place to live and to consider living in for next year. I have really liked living in Hubbard but community set up this blog has made me consider Sny-Phi as my number one choice. I have a friend that lived there for two of the four years that she was here and she said that she absolutely loved it and that it was the greatest decision that she ever made dorm wise. Although a lot of people seem to only consider the café as a reason to live there I would have to say that it seems that it has a lot going for it in general. Living with the art students just sounds like a blast and an interesting time to be had. I have also heard that out of all the solely dorm rooms on campus that the ones in Sny-Phi are the biggest and nicest which just gives it another check on the list of good things going for it. I really liked this blog and all the info that it gave me about Sny-Phi that I did not know. It is great to get to hear about all the different place to live on campus. Not just hearing to good stuff but the bad stuff as well it is kind of handy when thinking of places to live next year.

    ReplyDelete